Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hourglass Quilt Finish

I have my first quilt finish for the year. Technically it's a 2012 finish, but I'm counting it for this year. I started this scrappy quilt last year when Rachel started her Scrap Attack Quilt Along. Once I started it I knew I wasn't going to finish it in time for her deadline, but instead it became my leader and ender project. It was a great way to do something like this, I probably would have died of boredom otherwise! So here's the finished product:


All of those hourglasses are 3" square. And there are 480 of them!! I just kept making them until I thought I had a substantial enough pile.

Evan can not resist this quilt. Every time I put it down he has to crawl all over it. Note the baby toes at the top of this photo! Most of my shots looked like this.


 My good friend Denise has been teaching me how to use her longarm. So I thought this would be the perfect project to try to long-arm myself. She generously let me use her machine for the afternoon and I ran a pantograph over it. I love how it came out! Now I need to scheme to get myself one now! I had a hard time getting a good photograph of the quilting because of the busy pattern. This was probably where you can see it best. I should have taken pictures before washing.


It was a pretty dense swirly plume pattern. I wanted something dense with all those seams. Here's the rest of the back. Just a collection of fabric I had around that was all kind of low volume so it wouldn't show through. No real plan there.



One of the things I love most about this quilt is that it is totally made of scraps. Sitting under it is fun for me because I can look at all the fabrics and remember the projects (usually gifts) that were made from those fabrics.



And finally, I just have to share this video. When I got the quilt out of the dryer, I laid it out so I could see it all. Evan went bananas and did this for about 5 minutes straight. The video is only about a minute though. This is just what a quilter wants to see their kids do!  :)


Quilt stats:
Size: 68"x57"
Pattern: Hourglass
Fabricsstash
Quilted by: Myself
Finished:12/20/12




12 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

It's so beautiful, Becky! I love it!!!

stitchingandbacon said...

I love scrappy quilts. You are totally right about them being a little quilty scrap book of sorts. So full of memories! Happy New Year!

PS- Your baby not being able to resist the quilt is adorable!

Denise in PA said...

You are SUCH a natural! o:)

beth said...

OOoh! I love this quilt! Gorgeous.

Katie B said...

It's beautiful, Becky! Great finish.

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, and a great way to use your scraps! I think 3" square might have made me lose my mind though, you are a far better woman than me!

Michelle K. said...

The quilting looks great!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'm a big fan of scrappy quilts and yours is gorgeous (and so is Evan!). I like to do scrappy blocks for leader/enders too... it seems like they happen almost effortlessly that way.

Lee said...

WOW, Becky! That is one amazing quilt! So many HSTs! Great job!

Marci Girl said...

Beautiful and so much hard work...totally worth it! I love that your little man can't keep his hands off it!

Nikita said...

Gorgeous quilt..love all of the different fabrics!

Fabric Warrior (aka Amie) said...

This quilt is FABULOUS!! So pretty and an amazing job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...