Monday, April 1, 2013

A quilt top finish

I finished this top before I went back to work but I was so miffed at it that I put it away. The sun was actually out so I took a few photos. Let me give you the story on this one.



The pattern is Apron Strings by Sweetwater. My first irritation is that it is listed on the back at "jelly roll friendly". When you read the directions, those strips at 1.5" wide, not 2.5". I don't know about you, but I have zero desire to cut down my jelly roll! So I had an old honey bun of Hello Betty in my drawer and decided to use that instead.

Then I later found that I had an old version of the pattern and had some issues cutting the strips. Instead of cutting the patterns and the white, it had me cutting all the patterns. So I wound up piecing those together for the backing (no photo yet).

Then, I had issues because the way the blocks are constructed doesn't leave any room for squaring up. So there are some minor inconsistencies throughout the quilt.

Finally, since I used an old fabric line, I had a hard time finding a border fabric. All I could find was this small print orange. I pretty much hate it as the border. It's too busy and hurts my eyes. I may rip it off and replace it with a solid.


But for now it's getting put away until I can look at it without screaming!


10 comments:

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Oh no! This is like a comedy of errors! I do like the border so I hope you won't do any seam ripping. The quilt s pretty so maybe you will look back and laugh...I hope so!

Denise in PA said...

Really makes me want to do mine - LOL! Let it simmer for awhile and then take it out and see what you think! o:)

Beth said...

It looks great from here but I do the same thing get so mad at it put it away and when you pull it out again it gets a little better. Good luck finishing it! sometimes just plain frustrating.

Katie B said...

Yikes!!! Well...it looks really cute! I actually like the border, and Hello Betty is one of my faves.

Katy Cameron said...

Oh man, I might have had to find a muddy puddle to stomp it in for a while, that would have shown it ;o)

Lindsay said...

Cute! I like the border print but I agree that a solid might look better because of all of the prints in the blocks.

I hope you're enjoying your new working adventure!

Anna said...

Argh! That sounds super annoying! But it looks so cute!

Unknown said...

it looks really cute! I actually like the border..
Thanks for sharing nice info
OCM Suiting - wholesale fabric - trouser fabric - linen fabric

Susana said...

Ja ja !Puso o no un color solido ?
No comprendo como encuentra el tiempo y el espacio para crear.
Se la siente feliz por su nuevo trabajo.

Sophie Belle Designs said...

oh what a shame it wasn't a pleasant piecing experience :( Well I have to say that the viewing experience is pretty spectacular! I love it. Please done rip off the border, it's gorgeous. If you want to calm it down just use a solid binding. Don't do anything rash

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...